Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day. Five years ago I wrote a poem that I like to read each Memorial Day. I have only shared it with Garr. Today I am going to share it with you. Have a great day!

The Veteran


A man in a wheelchair
Beard and long hair
Camouflage coat
Hungry and cold
Once he was young
His future so bright
He served America
Fought with his might
Now he’s a veteran
Missing one leg
Lonely and suffering
For food he must beg
Do I shun him
Or do I show grace?
It’s because of this man
that I have a place
To do as I choose
To be free where I live
And so in return
Something I must give
I reach out to take
This man by the hand
“Thank you so much
For being a man,
For serving this country
You’re brave and you’re kind
So when you are lonely
Just keep that in mind.”
I reach in my pocket
I’ve something to give
So this man a better
Life can live.

By Jennie Ovard

4 comments:

Tina said...

Wow Jennie, I had no idea you loved to write. Me too! My dream is to write a children's book...
You have real talent, and that should definitely not remain hidden!

Jeanette said...

What a beautiful poem, Jennie! I'm very impressed. I look forward to reading more of your writings :)

Unknown said...

great poem! I didn't think you could spell. Good job.

aubs33 said...

Really nice, thanks for sharing!
Aubri