Saturday, May 24, 2008

May 24, 2008 JoBloom begins

I should start at the beginning. My story is long, so in order to not overwhelm myself or anyone else, I will tell small pieces at a time and try to leave out the boring details. First of all, let me quickly explain the name of my blog. JoBloom is the combination of two words. Jo is not only my middle name (thanks Dad and Mom) but it also stands for the initials of my married name, Jennie Ovard. I also have something in common with Jennie-o turkey! I have been married to Garr Martin Ovard, Jr for 12 years - 13 this September.
The “Bloom” part of the name is significant. Years ago my mother gave me a magnet that at first I only kept because it was a gift from her. For a long time I hated it. The watercolor painting is nothing spectacular. It’s two open windows and just inside are three potted flower plants, probably chrysanthemums. Around the windows are vines with small white flowers on them. The words on it read: Bloom where you are planted. When my mom gave this magnet to me, my husband and I had just moved from Seattle Washington to Pheonix Arizona. I hate the heat. I was pregnant with our second child and had morning sickness - bad. Our new apartment was beautiful. The only thing I appreciated about it was that the moment we walked in, it was cool and comfortable. There was cold water in the fridge. I don't remember what I did after that, but I know Garr unloaded the moving van without any help from me. Every time I looked at that magnet I wanted to throw it away, but I couldn't. Arizona was the biggest struggle for me. I could not have survived it without my friend Tami.
Since living in Arizona we have moved a few other times. I have slowly learned how to Bloom where I am planted. So despite what Webster may say is the definition of bloom, I have my own definition. To me, the word bloom means to thrive, to have faith, to push through the struggle, to keep trying when I am feeling ready to give up, to start over when I feel I have failed. To bloom means to never give up. That is why I have started this blog. Not because I am perfect, not because I always have a positive attitude and not because I have finished blooming, but because I have not given up and I continue to bloom, if not every day, then every chance I get.

No comments: