Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I've got no strings

I’m listening to this cute song that my daughter had to memorize for her first-grade program. It’s called I’ve Got No Strings and it’s from Disney’s Pinocchio. The version of the song is very upbeat and fun. These little voices sing it and it’s so darling. As I was listening I felt overcome with emotion. If you have never listened to the words of this song, it’s not just cute. It has a very deep meaning if you look and listen.

I’ve got no strings
To hold me down
To make me fret
To make me frown
I had strings
But now I’m free
There are no strings on me!

Wow! What powerful words. It’s a children’s song, but think what can you do if you realize there are no strings on you! THERE ARE NO STRINGS! You can put strings on yourself if you would like. But wouldn’t you rather be free?

Hi Ho the merry-o
I’m as happy as can be
I want the world to know
Nothing ever worries me

I’ve got no strings
So I have fun
I’m not tied up
To anyone
They’ve got strings
But you can see
There are no strings on me

You have no strings
Your arms are free
And that’s the way
It oughta be
You have no strings
It’s very true
There are no strings on you!

Make your own interpretation. What are the “strings” in your life that hold you down? There are things that make you fret, that make you frown. Bad habits, bad attitudes, complaining, whining, negativity, rudeness, sin, procrastination, criticism, sarcasm, anything that brings you or others down. Can you cut those strings? If you think you can, you can. It may take a lot of work. Or maybe there is fear and lack of faith in your life. You want to move on and progress but there are certain strings that are holding you back from achieving your highest potential. It may mean a career change, it may mean an attitude change at work or wherever you are. But don’t you want to be free? I do. Each day I can choose a string that is holding me down and decide to cut it. Some strings will feel more like ropes, but they are still holding you down, holding you back. Change your life. Accentuate the positive and cut the destructive strings from your life so that you can be free!

If you want a copy of this song, you can find it on iTunes. The album is Let’s Go To The Movies and the artist is Music For Little People Choir

1 comment:

Tina said...

I never knew all the words to that song. I love it!
Yes, I do have a few strings...
fear being one.
I am working on it though.
Sad that its easier to communicate with you this way instead of picking up the dang phone. Sorry, I'm not a great friend but I love ya and think about you all the time!!!!