Thursday, October 9, 2008

My Friend

Several evenings ago, when I was at the grocery store picking up a few items, I heard someone behind me say my name. I turned and saw a friend of mine. We stopped on the Halloween candy aisle and talked for awhile. She and I run into each other often at the store, the park and other places, and we always take time to talk.

Usually after I have had a good conversation with her, I think about the trial in her life that is probably the most difficult one for her. She has several trials that I know of and it's not because she talks about them all the time. She is, in fact, a very positive and happy person who listens to others and has pleasant things to say. Her way of communication is never complaining or gloomy, she simply states things how they are and seems very confident in the progress she is making in her life.

When I think about this one particular difficulty in her life, it makes my problems seem less troublesome. I guess I sort of "compare" her ordeal with the ones that are bothering me the most in my life and I have decided that I would rather have my trials than hers. She seems to be handling things well, but we don't always know what goes on in the secret closets of a persons mind and heart. We don't know if what they are feeling is something that tears them apart, pains them, and makes them feel empty or lonely. Do they cry out for help? Do they get on their knees at night when they are alone and the pain is too much to bear? Are they in constant agony but able to hide their suffering?

I ache for my friend and I would not want to be in her shoes. I will take my trials, thank you very much. But after seeing her, being with her, talking with her, I feel uplifted. I can learn from her and see the good in the world and they joys in my life. It’s wonderful to have a friend like that. I hope you have a friend like mine, but even better, I hope you are one.

No comments: