Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Marcia Brady thoughts

Maureen McCormick played Marcia Brady on the Brady Bunch before I was even born. Yet I remember watching it so they must have shown plenty of reruns since the show was canceled before I was even 2 years old. Now Maureen McCormick has written a book about her life - like so many other celebrities. It's great that people write books. They want to share their life experiences with others and for the most part the end of the story is a happy one.

The thing that bothered me when I first saw "Marcia Brady" on TV this morning was I almost felt like she was saying "Hey, I did all these bad things with my life and now that I have changed, I am going to dig up my dirty business and share it with the world." Now I have to say that I think it is so wonderful when people change their lives and pull themselves up out of the depths of their despair, but do they really need to share all the dirty details in a book? There is a difference between saying, "I was depressed and overweight, I sought help and even though it was difficult, I changed and my life is better." and saying, "Look, I was a prostitute, on drugs, and I did these horrible things, now I am telling everyone about it so they will read my book." It just doesn't seem like the most respectable thing to go telling the world about your weaknesses and downfalls, just to say, "I'm better now, so buy my book."

So let's hear it. Do you think that celebrities should write books about their lives sharing all their dirty little secrets? Do people really like to read about the bad things that other people do? Or should people keep the bad stuff to themselves and just share the good things that came out of a difficult situation - sharing minimal personal information? Do they feel better about themselves after letting it all out? Would YOU want the world to read about YOUR misdeeds. I don't know, maybe that's what people really want, the good, the bad and the ugly.

But personally, I want to show the best of what I am. I think people look at you and maybe even treat you differently when they know about all the dirty details of your life. You are not trying to hide anything, you are working to BETTER yourself, so why would you degrade yourself by telling the world about the things you have done that you are ashamed of? It's not necessary. You are who you are today and you are becoming better each day. So why pull yourself back to the past where you don't want to be? If you want to share your life story, do it by telling what you did when you realized you were on the track you didn't want to be on. Start with the good, end with the good. Move forward!

No comments: