Friday, August 1, 2008

Summer!

Wow! Look how time flies! It's already August the 1st and my kids are nearing the end of their summer vacation. In about 2 more weeks they will headed back to school. But this has been a longer summer vacation than the one they had last year. Year-round school is still something I am trying to wrap my head around.
Usually during the summer, I keep my kids busy with reading, math worksheets and plenty of simple chores. They still have their lists of activities and chores that are supposed to be done, but they are choosing to only get the bare minimum accomplished so they can play with friends. During the school year, my kids, like many others, are required to read each day in addition to the other schooling and homework they have. But during off-track times and summer, I also expect my kids to read and they do it nearly every day. It is also a fun for me and my kids when I read to them. We have read lots of books together. This summer I read The BFG, by Roald Dahl to them and now we are reading Pippi Longstocking.
My philosophy about summer vacation or any other extended break from school is that it is important to keep our children's minds stimulated throughout the year, and throughout their lives. If I require them to keep busy even when they are out of school, hopefully that will continue on in their lives and they will always have a desire to be active, industrious and to keep learning and growing until they die!

No comments: