Monday, September 8, 2008

Kindness

"A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may never get over." - Benjamin Franklin

When I first read this quote, I thought of the words that inadvertently slip from my mouth in a moment of frustration or aggravation. Maybe not always the words so much as the tone. Perhaps you, too have experienced such moments. You want to take back the angry words you spoke. Maybe the words were considerate enough, but yelling them wasn't. Hopefully those around you are NOT used to hearing negativity or anger coming from you. Perhaps this quote better illustrates your communication:

"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile." - Mother Teresa

If there is kindness in your face, your eyes and your smile, it would be pretty difficult to yell at someone, wouldn't it? But what if the person you are around is being angry or unpleasant? Well, here's a quote I found that will help you:

"Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most" - Ashleigh Brilliant

Often it's hardest to be kind to those who are ill-mannered, but the way you act will have a great bearing on the way you feel. Act pleasant, feel pleasant. Act grumpy, feel grumpy. It reminds me of times I am in the car and I accidentally cut someone off or I pull in front of them after giving them plenty of notice but they are upset with me for getting into "their" lane. Sometimes I get the horn, or a dirty look, maybe the finger, but if I let it get to me, I am not hurting that other driver, he's already in a foul mood, I am only hurting myself."

Here's one more quote, just to leave you in a really good mood: “Kindness is difficult to give away because it keeps coming back."

1 comment:

D. Goddess said...

Great post Jen. I love all of the quotes.