Monday, June 30, 2008

Sickness and Health

I don't get sick very often. In fact, when I do get sick, I complain to Garr and say, "I hate this. I NEVER get sick!". Which is true most of the time. So last week I got sick. I had not eaten enough food which makes me weak anyway and on top of that, our A/C was out and we couldn't get the house cooler than 85 degrees! All of that just did a number on me. Two days later I was feeling about 75% better and kept getting more energy back every day.
So now I am feeling so grateful for my health. I am generally in very good health, no major health problems and that is a blessing. When I get sick it only lasts for a few days (except the kind of sickness that starts with nausea, vomiting, then leads to weight gain, swollen legs, etc and then ends nine months later).
There are days when I struggle to get up and get my workout in. On those days, I think of others who do not have the good health I do. When Christopher Reeve had his accident that paralyzed him, there were many days that I felt so grateful for my legs that work and my arms that work. Those thoughts led me to be grateful for my eyes that see, my ears that hear and my heart that beats strongly every day.
Whatever your health is, good or poor, find something to be grateful for. Find ways to look at the good parts of your body that work properly, that do their jobs the way they should. Find ways to be grateful for your body no matter the shape or ability. Be thankful for the things that you CAN do and don't focus on what you CAN'T do. If you are in good health, go out and exercise to ensure that your health will last longer and you will have the strength to do the things you want to do. To your health!

No comments: